With increasing research supporting healthier food alternatives and active lifestyles, the world has been turned on its head in terms of wellness, health and fitness. In fact, I am pretty proud to say I’ve been living a pretty health conscious lifestyle. I live for a good gym session and a good kale and spinach smoothie and veggie wrap or veggie stir fry. However, even with all that fixing of my physical health and eating habits I can’t help but think does my spirit fully reflect the work that I am putting my outer self through?
I mean it’s great to be physically fit and to truly care for your temple but sometimes I have to admit that I am tougher on my inner me than I probably need to be. BUT to combat that I have been being intentional these days about being kinder to myself and putting into practice some #selfcare and being mindful especially when it comes to my thought life. Because let’s be honest it will not do me or anyone else much good to be the strongest woman on the outside but to be constantly struggling on the inside, or battling with negative self talk or things that don’t align with what God has to say of me.
So in an effort to practice being more healthy spiritually, which is directly related to your mental health and wellness, I’ve put into practice the following:
- Meditation (both on affirmations and the word of God)
- Intentionality of my thought life.
- Laughing with family and friends.
- Reading good books or listening to uplifting songs, podcasts, Youtube sessions, or any other similar media outlets that are good for/beneficial to my soul and spirit growth.
- Fueling my body with veggies, fruit, and essential vitamins and nutrients that will boost my mood.
- Exercising regularly.(heyyyy endorphins and good feelings!)
- Fighting negative emotions or spirits vigilantly.
- Celebrating myself, my accomplishments, and all the amazing things that are happening in it and focusing on those things.
- Focusing on what I want to be and how to get there, goals, the goodness of God and the progress I’ve already made.
- Counting my blessings.
- Living my life like it’s GOLDEN! (Shout out to Jill Scott!)
- Realizing all days aren’t going to be picture perfect but taking it all in stride and finding in the words of my best friend “my happy” and realizing my peace, joy, and contentment comes from God and flows outward from that place and is not dictated by circumstances or situations but by my identity as HIS cherished daughter.
- But even if I do have an emotional day or moment, not LIVING in that space and finding the courage and strength to keep moving past that.
- Being transparent with those close to me and realizing that those closest to me are built for helping me on my life journey.
- Self care (washing hair, soaking in the tub, eating my fave treat foods WITHOUT GUILT, dancing, taking a nap, whatever may feel right in that given moment and that contributes to getting back to a balanced place)
- Serving others and taking my eyes off myself.
- DOING NOTHING. (Despite what this world tells us or tries to feed us, sometimes rest/stillness is a beautiful thing)
- Taking a walk outside.
- Encouraging, pouring into, complimenting someone else and talking to a perfect stranger, giving someone else a smile or a bit of hope.
- Cooking/meal prepping, reading about new recipes and types of food
- Hanging out with family members, friends and loved ones and enjoying the simple things.
- The occasional burst of retail therapy.
- Foodie/ travel adventures
- Walk in confidence and realize all is well with my soul
- Call on my alter ego Ms. Thang (every woman has that part of herself she calls up when she needs that extra oomph)
Not an exhaustive list but this is what came to me offhand.
What are some of your favorite wellness promotion activities? Feel free to share! I would love to hear! In the mean time take care of yourself and remember there are billions of people in the world but there will never be another you with all the gifts and talents God has imparted to you to share with the world so be WHOLE and WELL!